Interdisciplinary Collaboration Wheel, collaboration with the Royal Society






I have had the great opportunity to collaborate with the Royal Society in their project ‘Changing Expectations’ about envisioning research culture in the year 2035. As part of this project, my colleague Julie Light, from the MA Art and Science, wanted to create a ‘Museum of Extraordinary Objects’ belonging to the year 2035. I  was already reflection about interdisciplinary research, and how people from different disciplines can collaborate with each other, as this is a crucial part of my artistic practice; collaborating with geneticists, and computer scientists. This subject came up in one of the pilot workshops organised by the Royal Society. I got inspired by this and ‘Collaboration’, subject proposed by the Royal Society team.
I wanted to make an object that would choose a team randomly, and in a way that the person using such object couldn't choose the members of the team. I added professions related to science, humanities craftsmanship, and professions that are emerging or don’t exist yet, like AI trainer and Galaxy Explorer. I wanted to provoke thought and give insight about how diverse a team can be and how interdisciplinarity is becoming more prominent, especially from STEM to STEAM. 
I made a spinning wheel using the design of a Codon Wheel, which helps visualising which aminoacids will be produced from the series of codons (sequences of 3 basepairs of RNA).
This design has been very present in my artistic practice and in my early research during the MA in Art and Science at Central Saint Martins. It was interesting to decontextualize it by adding a profession in each of the boxes, and the collaboration wheel became more interesting and challenging to play.
I constructed the object in collaboration with Reggy Liu.
 
Codon Wheel from https://rbssbiology11ilos.wikispaces.com/Codon+Wheel

 


The object was exhibited at the Changing Expectations Launch event at the Royal Society in July 2017. The object is touring around the UK and taking part in workshops about research culture organised by the Royal Society team.

To find more about the Royal Society project click on the following link https://blogs.royalsociety.org/in-verba/2017/08/09/telling-the-story/

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Binding Art and Science, a Journey through Drug Design